Meaningful Use Stage3 Certification for Puerto Rico based EHR vendor
Our client is an ambulatory EHR software provider based in Puerto Rico. Thousands of care facilities in the North and South American continents use the client’s multi-speciality EHR solution. It features highly customizable software components that allow care facilities to record patient data and share it as per the requirements of their organizational needs and speciality. Pulmonary workflows were the client’s forte and the EHR solution was used by many hospitals and laboratories that specialized in the diagnosis of respiratory disorders.
Mandatory MU3 certification requirements from the CMS were snapping at their heels. All their customers (healthcare facilities) relying on them for the delivery of certified EHR systems, waited in anticipation. The only other option they had with them was to jump ship to another vendor. The level of difficulty of the MU3 implementation was further raised with a strict timeline of 8 months from the client. They needed a specialist with a reputation for delivering consistently before the deadline for this implementation. Nalashaa stepped up to the challenge with its extensive knowledge of MU3 certification and clinical workflows.
Three profound problems that affected the client’s product were as follow:
- The list of functionalities offered by the EHR application required an overhaul to conform to MU Stage 3 requirements.
- The singled tiered application architecture hampered possibilities to evolve their EHR offering into a cloud hosted configuration.
- Legacy UI that lacked many modern UX features such as layout optimization, smart notifications and single page menus.
Nalashaa’ team of project managers, business analysts and software engineers well versed with US healthcare regulations and IT technology wasted no time in beginning work on the client’s requirement. Implementation of the solution began with the creation of a road map that spanned 6 months. This helped strengthen the confidence of the client in our capabilities as the ideal healthcare software development service partner. Here are the three primary problems that we helped the client overcome
Problem:- The legacy monolithic application created a heavy dependency on the client. Any performance niggles and technical glitches required a direct, on-premise intervention from the client’s engineering and support teams.
Solution:- We chipped away at the single-tier legacy application to give it a service-oriented architecture. The system was now designed to handle large unstructured data. This would aid the innovative vision of the client with automation, in the future. The ability of their EHR system to organize hard, patient data would be a great avenue for integrating AI and ML functionality in the EHR application.
Problem:- The legacy solution lacked support for micro services, a standard that exists in all modernized EHR applications today. Should the client plan to focus on mobile usability, the lack of support for progressive web apps was absent.
Solution:- We tapped into mobile app development potential and leveraged Angular 7, a cutting edge application front end development framework to redesign UI components. We integrated support on the architecture of the application for microservices. This breathed new life into the EHR application making it more versatile and capable of being scaled up separately by the end customers according to their usability.
Problem:- The EHR solution was designed to be hosted on a centralized server application. A cloud-hosted configuration would give the client application versatility in user access and data security. The legacy application needed to be moved to the cloud.
Solution:- We used MS Azure to deploy cloud hosting for the client. The application now supported seamless log in from any location.
The Benefits we Empowered the Client With
- Use of MS Azure helped relieve the client of data security, backup and recovery responsibilities.
- Micro services approach ensured that each functionality can be separately scaled and deployed.
- Features like deployment slots in Azure bring in more confident releases where the applications can be tested on the staging environment before release.
- Continuous integration and deployment processes have reduced the deployment time and eliminate human errors characteristic of manual processes.
- Complete development and certification with Drummond without any hiccups in just 6 months.
How We Made a Difference
6month time frame
Successful certification with Drummond
End to end redesign of client EHR application architecture
- Angular 7
- .Net Core
- Mongo DB and SQL