Healthcare IT to the rescue
As the opioid epidemic escalates, clinicians are actively seeking tools and resources to detect and prevent opioid misuse. Technology can be of considerable assistance to clinicians with improved adherence to both controlled substances prescription guidelines and underlying treatment protocols. Below are a few ways technology could be leveraged to address some of the challenges that exist in this regard.
Integrations with PDMPs
Collect Data from pharmacies across your state to understand prescription Hx
- - PDMP is a state-run electronic database that collects data from pharmacies on controlled prescription drugs dispensed to patients.
- - PDMP integration can get providers bonus points under Medicare Programs in 2019. It also prevents misuse by avoiding patient re-visits for prescription renewals before due.
Keep sharing content around the effects and the use of MATs with patients
- - Educating patients about the side effects of opioid Drug overdose through a medical adherence app, or maybe a patient portal.
- - Providers should Add Date of Death field within the EHR and send auto-reminders to family members for Drug take-back & Mail back programs
CDS Tools in EHR
Take help from CDS for keeping you aware of the repercussions before prescribing any OPIOID to the Patient.
- - Physicians must stick to standard protocols by adhering to CQMs identified by NCQA.
- - Algorithms in EHR mandating all the checks before opioids prescribing and Patient education
- - Saves the physicians from any calamities in the future.
Help patients living without an access to Authorized OPIOID practitioners
- - To allow community mental health and addiction treatment centers to register with DEA to treat patients through the use of telemedicine.
- - Allow qualified centers to register with DEA to treat more patients, particularly those living in rural areas that lack qualified providers.
Improve MIPS scores
With the ecosystem sprinting towards VBC, make sure you do every bit to improve your quality score
- - In ACI category, earn bonus by completion of training & receipt of approved waiver for provision opioid medication assisted treatments.
- - Consultation of Prescription Drug monitoring programs
Have your system inform you about what you might face in the future
- - Providers can leverage patient demographic and social data, compare it against proven models to predict incidents of prescription abuse and make changes to the treatment plan for at-risk individuals.
- - Prescribing habits of providers through the year could revel opportunities for provider education.
For a problem that has existed for some time now, nobody has a magic-bullet. However, with our experience in the ecosystem, we can help you with a mitigation plan. Drop us a note!